August 25, 2023
IoT Technology is at the Cutting Edge of Emergency Services
Emergency services are benefitting greatly from the capabilitities of Iot devices.
Internet of Things (IoT) devices have been ingrained into our daily routines, facilitating connectivity for individuals and businesses. They are equipped with sensors and processing capabilities, enabling them to gather and exchange data with other network devices. Smartphones, tablets and intelligent thermostats empower us with remote access to crucial information, eliminating the need for physical presence. As these technologies continue to grow, so do their many uses.
IoT technologies have found application in public safety, primarily due to their wireless capabilities. A variety of these technologies, including surveillance cameras, license plate recognition systems, body-cameras, video cameras inside police vehicles, sensory devices and more, contribute to enhancing safety measures.
IoT even extends its scope to encompass the security of these devices. Presently, there is a significant emphasis on ensuring cybersecurity for edge technology. IoT devices can receive remote software updates to enhance functionality while maintaining security protocols and preventing unauthorized access and potential hacking incidents.
The potential application of these technologies is endless and play a crucial role in predicting and analyzing patterns, enhancing our ability to respond to critical situations efficiently.
IoT Devices Are Helping Fill the Gaps in Emergency Services
IoT devices provide state and local agencies with a “force multiplier.” These technologies enhance the efficiency of data collection and processing, allowing for quicker and more accurate responses in an emergency. Additionally, these devices reduce the need for constant physical monitoring, helping to eliminate the need for short-staffed emergency departments to maintain physical oversight while effectively identifying urgent needs, saving costs and ensuring accurate, timely responses. This approach helps save money when budget constraints limit hiring additional officers and guarantees access to precise and up-to-date information.
5 IoT Devices Providing Remarkable Benefits to Emergency Services
There are unlimited benefits that these devices can offer to public safety. Here are five significant examples:
- IoT sensors that can detect natural disasters are being strategically placed in areas designated by emergency personnel to monitor severe weather events and proactively notify emergency personnel. Flooding, fires and even air quality can be proactively monitored. This technology can help save lives by providing timely warnings to city officials, enabling effective disaster management planning and extra time to promptly inform residents to steer clear of designated zones, minimizing casualties during emergencies.
- License plate detection cameras offer a range of capabilities that can help law enforcement, from predictive policing to intelligence strategies. They aid law enforcement in tasks as minor as identifying expired registrations to locating stolen vehicles. This support proves especially beneficial for law enforcement departments facing staffing constraints.
- GPS-enabled devices are pivotal for managing natural disasters or emergencies where there is high demand on first responders. In these critical situations, a GPS-enabled device pinpoints the first responder's location when other communication methods or devices have failed.
- Surveillance cameras prove invaluable to emergency services, aiding in predictive policing, monitoring traffic incidents, crowds and more. Cameras can detect patterns over a period to help facilitate swift police response.
- Drone cameras are a great way to help collect essential information during an emergency. A drone camera can fly overhead and collect crucial details about a situation in real-time without putting people in dangerous situations.
Redefining Emergency Response Strategy with IoT Technology
Emergency services are experiencing a profound transformation driven by the advancements in technology. The seamless integration of IoT devices into our daily lives has elevated connectivity and revolutionized how emergency services operate. From predictive policing to the invaluable role of GPS-enabled devices during crises, these technologies are redefining public safety response and analysis. As IoT continues to evolve, the potential benefits for the private and public sectors expand exponentially. From mitigating the impact of natural disasters to revolutionizing predictive analytics, these technologies will continue to shape the future of emergency services.
IoT devices can help any industry transform, but they have the biggest impact on industries that require real-time critical information. CDW•G understands that state and local agencies can greatly benefit from the latest IoT technologies. Our experts have years of experience and are here to help state and local agencies harness the power of IoT, answer questions and implement the best solution for your industry.
Story by John Powers, who is the senior public Safety strategist with CDW•G. John has been active in developing and integrating public safety solutions for over 15 years. He specializes in mobile video solutions, license plate recognition, digital evidence management and mission critical command centers. John’s career began with the US Army where he proudly served with the 82nd Airborne Division as a Military Policeman.